6.19.2010

Our FIRST Air Show!!

Today marks a very special day: I am blogging on the SAME DAY as the event I'm blogging about! AND Little Bear and I went to our first air show!
It's quite hard to believe that it's my first considering my dad and brothers went every year of my childhood--I guess I just never had any desire to sit outside in the blazing heat just to look at airplanes. What was I thinking, right?

Well my sentiments were changed today! First, I had to overcome myself, but I finally decided to take Little Bear over there, even though I was by myself and had NEVER been to an air show, or even to that side of base. We woke up in plenty of time, gathered our necessities, and off we went promptly before 9 a.m. We made our way to "Building 3001," the mile-long building on the east side of base. We found parking easily enough, sprayed ourselves down with sunscreen, and started the hike to the air show.

Let me just say that Little Bear LOVES airplanes and has ever since he's known what they were! This was right up his alley! We toured a couple of big jets, including the E-6 (the Navy plane his "Uncle J" pilots),
we admired others--some from a distance (this one's Daddy Bear's jet, the E-3)...
...and still others up close.
Little Bear even got to sit inside of a couple of smaller planes.
He LOVED every minute!
Next, we meandered over to the hangar where there was SHADE and had a little morning snack and toured the exhibits. I noticed that people were starting to congregate near the runway so, being the inexperienced air show attendee that I was, I followed suit. We found a nice little spot in the shade and parked ourselves to watch some of the "air demonstrations."
The lady next to us was instantly drawn by Little Bear's charm and began talking with us. As it turned out we had a lot in common so we talked for most of the morning in between gasps of amazement at the air stunts and the beautiful aircrafts. It was a great time!
I finally decided at around 12:30--when our shade was turning to hot rays of UV, we were quite soggy with sweat, running out of drinking water, running out of money, not to mention tired and hungry--that we'd seen enough for the morning and we headed back to the car.
Little Bear agreed with me.
Unfortunately for my workout, his nap was short-lived and he was up and ready to go again way too soon! SO...we did head back to watch the show but this time to a different location. One only available to those of us who have a military I.D. and know the right spot (Daddy Bear told us where to go ;D). And MAN did we have a great view of the Thunderbirds!!! They were incredible to watch BUT OH SO LOUD!
Now here I sit, alone with my computer, listening to what sounds like a fantastic display of fireworks outside, wishing my sweet husband were here to watch them with me. The day could've been better...only if it had been spent with Daddy Bear too. But we count our blessings, with thankful hearts, that he is safe and sound. And we count our days, with anxious hearts, until we are reunited!!!!!!!
God, please bless America!

2 comments:

  1. How VERY fun!!! I can see how an air show would be totally different through the eyes of Little Bear! That would make it REALLY fun! He is getting so big and is more precious by the day! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Little Bear looks so grown up!

    ReplyDelete